Pages

Monday, March 4, 2013

John 14-16

Chapter 14:12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

15 “If you love me, keep my commands. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. 

Jesus is awesome.  These verses deeply touch my heart, and fill me with so much hope for life.  Sometimes we can find ourselves extremely discouraged in our ability to do great things here on earth.  Jesus sets us up to do great things in His name.  The crazy thing is that He even says we will be able to do greater things than those He did while on earth because He must return to the Father.  Doesn't this just empower you?!  Come on guys! Jesus wants us to ask and to do great things in His name.  What are we waiting for?! Let's go! Ask & Do! As if the gift of Himself isn't enough, Jesus also promises that the Father will provide us with the Spirit to live in us and be with us always.

Chapter 15:18 “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. 19 If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.

Lately I have really been challenged by thoughts, opinions and trends of this world, in non-believers, but also in believers who are still conforming to the patterns.  Just before Jesus is arrested He reminds us that the world will hate us just as it hated Him.  This is sometimes difficult to swallow, but at the same time restores so much hope in my heart.  It definitely helps me to understand and be at peace with the fact that others may not always see the explanation for choices I make in how I lead my life.  Heck, they may even make fun of me or hate me, but that's okay because the world hated Jesus too.  It is comforting to be reminded that the world does not love me as its own, because the reality is that Jesus has chosen me out of this world 

I love Him<3
 

Chapter 16:12 “I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14 He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you. 15 All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will receive from me what he will make known to you.”

The gift of the Spirit is to me one of the greatest ways God shows His love for us.  He could have chosen to simply watch over us.  However, He blesses us with the Spirit so that He may be with us and in us always.  Oh, how He loves us. :) He desires to walk with us each step of the way.  I cannot think of a better or more thorough way to feel love than for someone to desire to guide us and experience everything with us.

He is beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment