Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Jeremiah 33:9 & 11

Then this city will bring me renown, joy, praise and honor before all nations on earth that hear of all the good things I do for it; and they will be in awe and will tremble at the abundant prosperity and peace I provide for it.’

11 “Give thanks to the Lord Almighty, for the Lord is good;  his love endures forever.”

Verse 9 is specifically referencing the restoration that God plans to bestow upon Israel and Judah.  Obviously, these promises are super legit and I love reading about the discipline and forgiveness of our Father because it helps me to know Him better.  Although I know this is a reference to a certain group of people at a certain time, I could not help but feel how there is a parallel between the restored city and how we as Christians are restored when we accept Christ into our hearts...and even repeatedly every time we are renewed by Him which to me seems almost continuous (praise God).  

I feel as though we indeed should bring Him "renown, joy, praise and honor before all nations on earth" by proclaiming to all the amazing things He does for us.  In addition, we should remain in awe and "tremble at the abundant prosperity and peace" He provides for us.  To me, the love and forgiveness of our Savior is so tremendous that we should never cease to be in awe or to tremble at the abundance that He provides for us.  It is truly amazing.

Verse 11 is awesome, and I feel as though it is packed with meaning.  Obviously, the Lord is good and definitely deserves our thanks, but it's the "his love endures forever" part that really gets me.  I have spent the last couple of days pondering on earthly relationships.  Regardless of how much we love one another or claim to be able to endure, there are indeed limits to that endurance.  For instance, if a person you love so much does something that absolutely devastates you, you may be able to endure that pain, forgive (through God because I feel that's the only way you can actually feel and learn what exactly forgiveness is), and move on in life with that person by your side.  However, regardless of how badly we want to fool ourselves into thinking that endurance is infinite because of how much we love someone, there are limitations to that endurance.  That doesn't make us bad, or even weak.  It simply makes us human, and shows us another beautiful characteristic of Christ.

God is the only one whose love endures forever.  He shows us this through His willingness to always love and forgive us endlessly, never taking into account how many times we have hurt Him.  My heart bursts with joy at His amazing-ness.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment