Pages

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Rehoboth Beach, Delaware

staying salty rehoboth beach

 One thing Jon and I have been trying to do since we posted at our new duty station is travel. We love seeing new places and trying new things, especially food. Rehoboth Beach was so fun.The drive wasn't bad, about 3 hours, perfect for a weekend getaway.  We got there Friday evening just in time for dinner at the Dogfish Head Brewery.
staying salty rehoboth beach dogfish headstaying salty rehoboth beach dogfish head


 staying salty rehoboth beach dogfish head
We then ventured out to walk Rehoboth Avenue and see the sights.  Rehoboth Beach was the perfect place for me since I have a ridiculous sweet-tooth, and it has the largest amount of sweet shops and ice cream parlors that I've ever seen on one street. If you love the beach, food and shopping, you'll love Rehoboth.  Just posting this makes me want to go back.  The first dessert we tried was this amazing hot sugar-crusted belgian waffle with ice cream at Nonna's Sweet Treats.  My oh my was this thing good.  Jon's not a big sweet eater, but he's a good sport about it.:)
staying salty rehoboth beach

staying salty rehoboth beach nonna's sweet treats

staying salty rehoboth beach nonna's sweet treats

The next morning we headed over to The Pointe Coffee House and Bake Shoppe.  If you should know anything about Jon and I, it's that we LOVE our cafes.  I'm pretty certain we've spent more time together in coffee shops than anywhere else.  I got the oatmeal (I'm a huge oatmeal fan), and Jon got the breakfast croissant.  Both were wonderful.  We wanted to try some more of their gorgeous pastries, but we had to pace ourselves for the day ahead.  However, I did find one thing I had been looking for for a long time: a coffee sack to add to our home decor.  The Pointe was selling them for $5.  Made.my.day. After breakfast, we ventured out to explore the shops, the Rehoboth Beach Museum, and of course, the beach!  It was lovely.  Things were pretty busy as this was one of the last weekends of the summer, but the atmosphere was great. 
staying salty rehoboth beach the pointe coffee


staying salty coffee sack home wall decor
For lunch we ate at Dos Locos Fajita & Stonegrill Mexican Restaurant. We love mexican food.  Jon has the same relationship with chips & salsa as I do with ice cream: love. I ordered my favorite dish, the chilequiles,   which was amazing.   
staying salty rehoboth beach dos locosstaying salty rehoboth beach dos locos
 
One of my favorite discoveries was Kilwin's, which happens to be a chain sweet shop.  I fell in love with their gigantic candy apples.  I love candy apples.
staying salty rehoboth beach Gilwin'sstaying salty rehoboth beach Gilwin's


staying salty rehoboth beach Gilwin'sstaying salty rehoboth beach Gilwin's


staying salty rehoboth beach Gilwin'sstaying salty rehoboth beach Gilwin's


After a bit more time on the beach, we took a quick power nap before an early dinner at Fin's Fish House, a recommendation of some locals and a super popular spot.  We went early (around 5) to avoid the crowd, and were able to be seated immediately.  We deemed this a winning move as there was a tremendous wait when we left.  The food was great, everything people had said. We tried several things to include the calamari and the oysters. Both were wonderful.  After dinner we strolled Rehoboth Avenue a bit more and enjoyed watching live music at the beach bandstand as we ate our Cold Stone ice cream cones.
  
staying salty rehoboth beach Fin's Fish House

On our last morning Jon and I visited another cafe, Cafe A Go-Go.  We got coffee and bagel sandwiches and sat at the bar in the window to people watch, sip our coffee and read our bibles; a perfect last morning at the beach.  We went for a quick final stroll on the boardwalk and headed home.

staying salty rehoboth beach

No comments:

Post a Comment